2/7/08

Bush Administration Hates, Music, Arts, Public Broadcasting

It’s a familiar dance: for eight straight years, the Bush administration has proposed deep cuts in federal funds for public broadcasting, and seven times so far, Congress has restored them. But the magnitude of the proposed cuts put forth this week — Patricia Harrison, president of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, called them “draconian” — still sent public broadcasters scrambling.

When we began this little endeavor, we agreed to keep it about music. No sports. No politics.Unfortunately for both of our loyal readers, I cannot let this go without a word.

A vibrant artistic life is a sign of a healthy society. Keeping our populace steeped in culture helps our minds. Which are imperative for a healthy Republic.

Sheesh. Sorry, but, come on! [Edit: found here at the Times: Public Broadcasters Prepare to Fight Federal Budget Cuts]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The linked article stated that the cuts would be around $200 million each fiscal year.

To put it in perspective, I'd just like to point out that Captain Fucktard's dallying in Iraq costs about $275 million a DAY.

Fuck that guy. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck him (attempting a text-only Larry David impersonation)

Murderface said...

Sometimes I feel so happy,
Sometimes I feel so sad,
Sometimes I feel so happy,
But mostly you just make me mad.
Baby, you just make me mad.

That song came on just as I was reading this post. A bit on the nose, don't you think?

Murderface said...

Oh yeah, and also he hates women.

And conservation. Weird for a conservative. False cognate, I guess.

Oh! And science. He really hates science.

Like, a lot.

To be fair though, whenever PBS money is threatened, they use the word "draconian." That's a zinger that's in heavy rotation, as Fast Eddie might say.

Uhm, and he also hates the poor. Hates, hates, hates, hates, hates the poor.

Aaron said...

Now I'm annoyed. You know how much I hate talking about politics!

Sator Arepo said...

I love you guys. Thanks for saying what I wouldn't. The comments, however, are totally fair game for whatevers!