4/28/08

DR Off-Topic: We're Full of Meme-y Goodness!

Oh, dear.

We've been tagged with a viral musicbloggy internet meme. I tried to find out where it started, but after a few dozen links back, I gave up. Perhaps someone knows? I first saw it here.

I'm supposed to (#5) say that we were tagged by Scott Spiegelberg over at Musical Perceptions.

It goes like this:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

"Falling Man", by Don DeLillo (which I got for xmas and haven't read yet, so this was that much weirder).

They walked toward the towers now, amid the sweep and crisscross of masses of people. All right. But what if the digits don't always total ten?

That was awesome.

Fine. Good. Let's play. I tag:

Joshua Kosman
, Erik Loomis at alterdestiny, Tom Strini, anzu, and Your Mileage May Vary.

(By the by, the actual nearest book was Mozart Piano Sonatas, but I didn't feel like typing in a bunch of note names.)

These are strange times, people.

PS: We seem to be on the tail end of this, so apologies to anyone we've re-tagged.

9 comments:

Empiricus said...

That gave me a meme cramp in my trope gland.

Lee said...

Thanks for the comment at my blog. Viral weirdness indeed!

Murderface said...

This sounds fun! I'm going to do it here, totally unsolicited! Let's see: The two books strictly nearest are the OED and an anatomy atlas, neither of which have sentences, per se. The next nearest is an anatomy book, too, but one with lots of text...but only labels on p. 123. This is harder than I thought!

OK, here's a good one. See if you can guess the book by the next lines:

There are several types of receptors that are kinases or bind kinases. Their common feature is that the intracellular domain of the receptor (or an associated protein) is a kinase (an enzyme which transfers a phosphate group from ATP to the hydroxyl group of a specific amino acid residue in the protein) that is activated when the messenger binds to the extracellular domain. The message is then propagated through signal transducer proteins that bind to the activated messenger-receptor complex.

Oh, that was too easy. You all probably guessed by now that that was from Marks' Essentials of Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach.

Really, the voice is unmistakable.

Anonymous said...

MF, you're totally wrong. That was in a Danielle Steele book, I swear it.

Right before the pirate captain rips off his shirt.

Tom Strini said...

OK, from the collected Dance Writings of Edwin Denby, p. 123:

"Aleko," second on the bill, brought Miss Markova in the part of Zemphira, and she was as scintillating, impetuous, and exact as she had benn in the winter. Massine dance Aleko with a handsome directness, and Laing as the Young Gypsy was excellent, as he has been from the first. The company rushed, flung their arms about, stopped dead, and were off again, as the choreography requires.

From Strini, who hasn't gotten around to tagging five more yet, but was tagged by S.A. Also, don't go by the quoted fragment here; everyone should read Denby's writing.

Sator Arepo said...

That was pretty awesome itself, Strini. What a random, stochastic internet meme. Anyone yet figure out the origination?

anzu said...

UGH!!! This is what I get for visiting. :) Actually, I'll do this, but won't be able to get around to this for a while. I'm like several posts behind on my own blog, which I have not updated much lately due to personal things going on, plus the drasted concert season and being behind on my music, etc. Oddly enough, it doesn't prevent me from procrastinating and reading other blogs, but that takes less energy than writing my own.

Empiricus said...

Sorry anzu. We sold our soul for a minute, too.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!