Today's Composer of the Day! is Ralph Shapey.
Shapey was an individualist. His music drifted and transcended styles, from serial to romantic, from atonal to lyrical. He was well-regarded as a composer, conductor, and teacher for most of his life.
Originally from Philadelphia, he landed at the University of Chicago, where he taught for 30 years until his death.
He is still relatively unknown, but I think he is one of the great American composers of the latter part of the 20th century.
His personal credo follows:
- All great music is a miracle.
- The music must speak for itself.
- Great art is a mystery and creates - is - magic.
- That which the mind of mankind can conceive will be done, to paraphrase sentiments in the Talmund.
- A work of art must transcend in order to be art.
- Artist: He [God] filled him with the breath and spirit of God - of the Creative Force - with wisdom,knowledge, discerning insight, and physical knowing, to paraphrase sentiments found in the Torah, in b'reshit (Genesis).
You should listen to his music.