8/22/08

Show and Tell: One More Non-Item

Either I don’t get out as much as I should, so to speak, or my computer is a raging Anglophobe. Yet somehow, today I managed to find myself on the U.K.’s MusicalCriticism.com, a relatively new site (established in 2007) devoted to the kind of in depth reviews that many of our American newspapers can ill-afford. Most of the authors are youngish academians who don’t shy from explaining the tough to explain.

Unlimited by space, this is a sample of what you get:

Composers Ruth Crawford Seeger and John Adams created works with unusual musical structures. For Crawford Seeger, it was to take dynamics as the basis for her Andante for Strings, while John Adams' Short Ride in a Fast Machine is a minimalist piece focusing on repetitive and modulating rhythms. Composed fifty years apart, they both have a historical American connection through their composers' shared nationality, yet each piece displays a different intellectual aspect of American music.

Author Mary Robb seems to like American classical music more than Americans. How refreshing! And no disparaging remarks about atonality! Yeah!

Anyway, I thought I’d give ‘em a shout out and their very own spot on our blogroll. You should check them out. They’re different and good.
-

1 comments:

Sator Arepo said...

Great find.