4/8/08

Composer of the Day!


Today’s composer of the day is Helmut Lachenmann.

(b.1935)

For Helmut, I will opt to take the facile route, and point to a short, but well-written biography, by Dan Albertson. Describing his music is a bit trickier than most, because his music can easily be mistaken for experimental or other things associated with 1960s-present German new music. But it’s none of these things, really. In fact, he embraces historical linearity, though not so apparent.

See? I already failed. Now, here’s the better bio.

And here are a few words by the composer, too. It’s also a little more visually/sonically illustrative.

Finally, here is a fantastic performance of Lachenmann’s percussion piece Interrieur, part I, and part II.

You should listen to his energy.

2 comments:

Sator Arepo said...

1) That picture is fun to look at!

2) Great YouTube links.

3) Lachenmann is the shiznit. Wait, do the kids still say that? Damn, I'm old.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Lachenmann isn't generating more comments. What an incredibly fascinating composer -- truly one of the most inventive and considered composers of the past 40 years. Too bad this guy seems to have like no career in the US -- I've never understood why there is so little crossover between America and Europe in classical music. To that point, one of the funniest conversations I've ever had was listening to a French conductor tell me how trashy American music is, and how he'd "rather eat shit than conduct" the stuff.

I would write more, but it's time to go make dinner...it's All-American hamburgers topped with liberty cabbage, and of course, freedom fries.